Whether it’s traditional skull tattoos or modern ones, skulls have always been a prominent theme for tattoos. If it’s on a girl, then the skull tattoo is likely to be more gentle and decorated. Skull tattoos for men meanwhile are often accompanied by the war theme, battle scars and blood. Which of these skull tattoo designs below do you like best?
1. Almost Full Coverage Skull Tattoo
You can expect most of the skull tattoo designs for men to look something like this – a flash of black and red with skulls appearing throughout the entire piece. It does look amazing though, doesn’t it?
2. Skull Sleeve Tattoo Extending to the Back
This might not be a skull sleeve tattoo entirely on its own, since the skull itself is actually on the back. Nevertheless, the trash polka style tattoo we have here sure is one to consider!
3. Shoulder Skull Tattoo
Go for a little more abstract in your tattoo with ink splatter patterns like this skull tattoo design. Whenever you are out of ideas for your tattoo design, realism mixed with watercolor or ink splatter looks will always be good.
4. The Skull Beneath Your Skin
This has to be one of the more popular skull tattoo designs for men. There’s the trash polka style, and there’s the skull that seems to be hiding behind its skin. There’s also the popular splashes of red.
5. Creative Skull Tattoo Design on Back of Hand
This is one of the best skull tattoo ideas that we have! It’s a way to make your skull tattoo pop out with its simplicity – just the bottom half of a skull. When you position your hand correctly, it looks like your own skull!
6. Double Exposure Skull Tattoo Idea
This is one cool skull tattoo to have! There is the outline of a woman, and yet you can still see the shape of a skull foreshadowing it all as well. Perhaps this is a tattoo that relates to the theme “Dangerous Woman”!
7. Skull Sleeve Tattoo Design
The details in this skull sleeve tattoo is simply incredible! The eyeball looked exceptionally realistic – almost to a creepy note, and we absolutely love it.
8. Some Colors in the Skull
Don’t want your skull tattoo designs to look too grim? How about adding some colors into the tattoo like you see in this particular piece? Rather than looking full-on creepy, now it even looks gorgeous!
9. A Not-So-Traditional Skull Tattoo
Why got for traditional skull tattoo designs when there are other more creative designs like this one? You can include your skull tattoo within another tattoo design to make yours stand out from the rest.
10. Skull Tattoo Designs for Women
You might find yourself dealing with skull tattoos like this one above. The design might include a rose in it, but it is joined with the skull tattoo so naturally that it looks just like a part of it!
10. A Unique Skull Tattoo
If you want your skull tattoo to be a unique one, you can go for a mix of two or more themes. This skull sleeve tattoo in particular has a steampunk feel to it.
11. Skull Tattoo for Men on the Chest
This would be an awesome addition to your tattoo collection. The tattoo artist paid attention to the details in this piece, using the lighting and colors so well that the tattoo looks more like a piece of art!
12. A Feminine Skull Tattoo
Some skull tattoo designs look like this one above – the pattern is more feminine, portraying a the curly locks of the damsel’s hair and the thin red veil hiding the skull beneath her face.
13. A Creative Skull Tattoo Design
Look at all the colors on this piece! The face obscured behind the skull has such a fierce expression to it, and yet the colors behind the figure seems to soften the tone of the entire tattoo piece.
14. Bloody Little Cupcake
Here’s a unique skull tattoo that you can consider! Unlike traditional skull tattoos, this one has a more unique take in which the skull is placed as a decoration on a cupcake rather than being the focus itself.
15. Couple Skull Tattoo
These candy skulls are sweet on their own, yet even sweeter when you see that it is a couple tattoo! The design of this piece resembles that of a traditional skull tattoo, especially with the colors and shading techniques.
16. Simple Skull Tattoo Ideas
Not sure what skull tattoo design to take on? You can create a small and simple skull tattoo like this one! They look very similar, aside from the fact that they have difference accessories on them.
17. Skull-Themed Half Sleeve Tattoo
This majestic skull tattoo is sporting a crown, backed by towers and clocks. One can only assume that this tattoo depicts a king whose kingdom has long gone.
18. Bright & Happy Candy Skull Tattoo
If you weren’t sure about how candy skull tattoos would look like if it has a feminine variant, this is it! This is a typical skull tattoo design for women, with bright colors and floral patterns.
19. Skull Tattoo for Men on Back of Hand
This skull tattoo looks a little more dark and gloomy, perhaps even more horror-like. However, the shape of the skull without the bottom jaw sits perfectly on the back of the person’s hand. Perfect!
20. Skull Tattoo along the Hips
You can take this skull tattoo idea heads-on if you want to have a tattoo piece that stands out for you. A tattoo like this one fits just nicely along your hips down to your upper thigh area, giving it an amazing appearance.
Skull is one of those tattoos that evoke in people the whole range of mixed feelings. In general, the meaning of skull tattoos is connected with danger, death and awareness of the transience of human life. As a rule, such issues concern not every person, but as we see on photos on the Internet, there is a great variety of skull tattoos and even more greater of skull sketches.
Skull tattoos can be found both on boys’ and girls’ bodies.
This symbol is preferred by many people as it has a great variety of meanings and may be performed in different styles.
Skulls are depicted together with other symbols or separately, they can be of big or small size depending on owners’ desires and goals.
Meaning of skull tattoos
- The skull is a sign of dark forces, victory of life over death, the sign of death and threats.
- Skull with crossbones is a symbol of pirates, which was associated with horror and fear in every time.
- In general, these tattoos were applied by compulsive gamblers or thieves, because their existence is connected with risk. This caused that the tattoo of skull started to be the symbol of despair.
- The skull symbolizes not only death but also immortality.
- Skull, depicted with a snake that crawls out of the eye is the symbol of wisdom and immortality. The usual meaning of the skull is the end of earthly pleasures, death, and decay.
- Bikers tattoo the skull to remind themselves that you need to take off your life everything without exception.
- The skull does not always mean something bad or melancholic.
- It also represents the beginning of a new life, rebirth, and reincarnation.
- The skull in the criminal world is a symbol of the desire for power.
The skull like every other tattoo sketch symbolizes the things and meanings, which you put in it, whether it is joy or fear.
Meaning of skull symbol in different cultures
First, the meaning of skull tattoos varies in different cultures and different nations.
- For Latinos, this is indeed a sign of death.
Skull here is a reminder of the end of stay in this world.
- Mexicans celebrate Day of the Dead.
These are a celebration of liberation from all earthly things and praise the transition to a better world.
- Sketch of tattoo with a skull can transmit, however, absolutely opposite information.
Thus, the Indians believe the image of the skull is some kind of protection from death.
- Also, such a tattoo can be a symbol of forgiveness and sacrifice.
This meaning came to us from the depths of Christianity.
The meaning has its ground in the tragic death of Jesus, who redeemed the original sin of Adam and Eve.
- Some Buddhist sects use human skulls as an amulet, constantly reminding them that life is sacred.
- Ancient Celts, wandering about all the Europe, felt that the skull keeps the immortal soul of a man.
Therefore, they preserved the skulls of their glorious ancestors and brave soldiers and treated them with the utmost care to hair their power and dignity.
Skull tattoos for men and women
Different pictures of skulls decorate bodies of men as well as a woman.
There are a lot of tattoos performed in various manners.
They are cool and unique and help to understand some details of the character of its owner.
The pictures of skulls combined with the other symbols can embody indeed absolutely various themes and traits of character.
For example, the composition “skull and rose” represents the unity of the opposites such as love and death.
“Skull and snake” represents immortality and wisdom, experience and depth of thoughts.
Many teenagers import in the skull tattoo their courage, determination, willingness to meet the life changes and do not be afraid of them.
For some people, skulls may be reminders of their beloved,
but for some others, this is a symbol of hatred and blind rage.
Therefore, the skull can be called rather a universal symbol for the tattoo.
Skull tattoos are equally popular both in men
There are a lotof styles in which such picture can be performed.
Boys prefer more traditional design of skulls, such as old school,
biomechanics and so on.
In the same time, girls are used to decorating their bodies with skull tattoos,
which include floristic elements,
or are simply pictured in aquarelle motives.
People tattoo all the parts of their bodies with the pictures of skulls.
Generally, men place the skull tattoo on their shoulders,
breast or ankles.
Women tattoo their thighs,
Celebrities’ skull tattoos
- Jessica White has a skull and cross-shaped dagger tattoo on her left wrist.
- Jesy Nelson got a tattoo of a skull and rose.The tattoo is on the outside of her left forearm, next to her previous rose tattoo.
- Ash Costello has a skull tattoo on her right thumb which is the logo for the band Misfits.
- Alexis Krauss has a grayscale tattoo on her left forearm of a skull and crossbones pierced by an ornate dagger.